Wednesday, June 25, 2008

checking in...

Whew....bringing it up to speed...
Got here, at mom's Saturday about 4:30. Be BBQ'd and visited the evening away. I tried to help mom get an afghan started so she would have something to occupy her during recovery after the surgery. Sunday, my brother took mom and I out to a champagne brunch at the winery. AWESOME! We had a much better experience than when Jeffrey was with us. We went for an early birthday celebration for mom, her birthday is June 29th. *My dads birthday is the 26th of June. Mom had wanted to try to do something totally different for birthday time this year. Dad and her had celebrated them 'together' for almost SIXTY years!!! Well, I'd say she is celebrating them differently for sure, this year!*
We BBQ'd steaks that evening and just 'tried' to relax.

Monday, we left at 9 a.m., mom had to fast. Her surgery wasn't until 1:30. An old, old friend was brought here from the next town up, about 45 minutes away, so, she could ride with us to Tucson where she could spend some time with her daughter in Tucson, plus, see mom in the hospital. I went to school with her daughters, so, it was a great catchup visit. They stayed with me til after moms surgery was over at 6:30 p.m. My cousin, Kathy, that lives in Tucson spent the afternoon with us, too. I was grateful for their company, since, I had planned/thought I would be alone.

The surgery went 'well', to see how the rest of it goes. I saw her scars yesterday and was shocked! I didn't think they were going to be as big as they were. She has a 4" scar around her left collarbone, where he went in to put in a stint---crossed through ALL THE SCAR TISSUE in her belly....ugh.... She has 2 6" scars on either side of the lower abdoman, then, a 6"-plus scar along the inner part of her left leg for the bypass. I haven't seen that one yet, because her legs are in some kind of pumping wrap.
She was very alert all day yesterday. All seemed well, but her blood pressure was dropping. They gave her 2 units of blood and she started feeling better. I left for my 1 1/2 hour drive back to her house, where my brother was. He is off for the next 6 days, so, we will head over together today. 105+ in Tucson...ugh! It's cloudy and trying to rain today....the only thing that means is it will be muggy! HA!

I called and talked to mom a few minutes ago. She's sore, but, that is to be expected. They had her up in a chair for 2 hours already. They think one more day of ICU, and then into a regular room. Once she gets on oral pain meds, they will think about letting her go home, since, I'll be here with her.
They did find out yesterday, that she still had her bladder infection. Now, to make sure no blood clots form......she's had issues (MAJOR) with them before.

....oh my! I'm just putting one foot in front of the other, for the next few days.

count your blessings...

No comments: